Large amounts of valuable data are available in energy systems but are often underused. There is no single data platform, for example, connecting data from the generation, transmission, distribution and consumption domains in Europe’s electricity sector or across the various energy vectors – electricity, gas, heat, etc. The barriers also imply the lack of proper mechanisms and policies that ensure secure, sovereign and fair data sharing.
Relying on European common standards, the EU-funded OMEGA-X (Orchestrating An Interoperable Sovereign Federated Multi-Vector Energy Data Space Built On Open Standards And Ready For GAia-X) project aims to implement an energy data space. This will include federated infrastructure, data marketplace and service marketplace, involving data sharing between different stakeholders and demonstrating its value for concrete energy use cases while guaranteeing scalability and interoperability with other data space initiatives.
OMEGA-X will develop an Energy Data Space that enables multiple actors sharing data and services while ensuring privacy, security and sovereignty. This will specifically address the current problem of low availability of data for innovative uses in the energy sector and beyond. OMEGA-X will collaborate with stakeholders to identify where energy-based service improvements and innovation are required.
Atos Research & innovation will coordinate a consortium of 31 partners and be in constant contact with the European Commission. In concrete, ARI will be the leader in the design and implementation of the federated infrastructure for the data space to achieve 6 priorities:
- Push forward the Innovation in FUSE.
- Implement interoperability between federated nodes & other Data Spaces.
- Lead the development of data governance, privacy and security of the Data Space.
- Provide the data Marketplace, pushing forward the Innovation in AGORA.
- Provide advanced AI (Artificial Intelligence) services on top of the data being shared and specially tailored to the Energy sector.
- Act as point of contact for alignment with relevant initiatives: BDVA/DAIRO as vice-secretary general and FIWARE as platinum members.